Rotor Transition Program
As an experienced helicopter pilot, you’re in a position to rapidly begin a new career as a commercial airline pilot. Your unique combination of experience, discipline, and commitment makes you an extremely valuable pilot.
In AeroGuard’s Rotor to Fixed Wing Program in partnership with SkyWest Airlines, you’ll be able to complete all your training needed to transition into a career as a commercial airline pilot in about 4 months.
When entering into this program, you’ll receive a guaranteed interview with SkyWest and potentially a conditional job offer with SkyWest as a First Officer. SkyWest Airlines is the largest regional airline in the nation with 20 domiciles across the country from the West Coast to the East Coast. SkyWest offers incredible career opportunities to their pilots as well. First Officers can upgrade to Captain in as little as three months as soon as they have their FAR 121-436 requirements.
Rotor Transition Requirements
Generally speaking, qualified pilots ready to begin the program already have a Commercial Certificate with Instrument Rating in rotorcraft helicopter and already meet total ATP minimum hour requirements. Civilian helicopter pilots need 1,500 hours while those that completed their training in the military require 750 total hours. Because of this, the rotor transition curriculum is designed to provide the airplane specific requirements needed to receive the ATP certificate which are:
- Commercial pilot certificate in airplane multi-engine land with instrument rating
- 250 total hours of airplane PIC time
- 50 hours in airplane multi-engine land aircraft of which up to 25 hours can be completed at the airlines
AeroGuard understands that it’s not always a one size fits all model. If a pilot does not meet all of the requirements listed above, or already has some fixed wing experience, AeroGuard can examine a pilot’s logbook and determine what they’ll need to be able to reach the ATP minimums. From there, the pilot will be able to enroll in a customized program that will allow them to move forward as a First Officer with the regional airlines.
The AeroGuard Rotor Transition Program is available at these campuses:
- AeroGuard’s RTP accelerated program takes approximately 12-16 weeks
- SkyWest Airlines First Officer pay begins day one of CTP training
- SkyWest’s CTP training will take approximately 2-3 weeks
- SkyWest’s indoctrination and jet training lasts approximately 8-10 weeks